General Management Objectives
Wetzin’kwa Community Forest Corporation’s general management objectives include environmental, social and economic objectives.
- to manage for sustainability of all resources (timber and non-timber resources);
- to manage for plant and animal diversity;
- to protect water quality in watersheds;
- to implement good forest stewardship activities on the land base and minimize negative environmental impacts; and
- to harvest damaged timber as a priority (pine beetle, fire, blowdown, etc).
- to facilitate local community involvement into forest management decisions;
- to manage for community values;
- to establish respect and a good working relationship between the Office of Wet’suwet’en, Town of Smithers, Village of Telkwa, and Newpro;
- to enhance outdoor recreation and education opportunities;
- to conserve / preserve cultural heritage sites / features; and
- to increase community awareness of forest management.
- to manage for long-term profitable operations;
- to manage for long term economic benefits to the local communities;
- to sustain, expand, and diversify local forestry related employment; and
- to promote opportunities to harvest botanical products.